Articles for Aug 07
Go behind the scenes at the Phil!
Sunday 16 September sees Philharmonic Hall throw open its doors and join together with friends and neighbours on Liverpool's iconic Hope Street to provide a great day out for all the family, as part of Hope Street Feast.
The Open Day is a chance to see an insider's view of the Phil as it celebrates the opening of its season of music, film, comedy and events - all FREE of charge!
Packed with music and fun for all ages, visitors can drop in throughout the day from 10.30am to 4.30pm and enjoy:
* Three 20 minute concerts performed by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra in the Phil's beautiful art deco auditorium, conducted by Vasily Petrenko.
* A full morning of cartoons and short films shown on the world's only working Walturdaw cinema screen, which rises from the stage.
* An all day programme of roots and jazz music in the cabaret bar style Rodewald Suite, home of the After8 series of gigs.
* Talks and tours that demonstrate RLP's range of activity and give a behind-the-scenes look at how one of the UK's premier arts and entertainment venues works (for example tours of the lighting box and projection room, and and RLPOlive recording workshops).
* A tea dance in the Phil's beautiful art deco Grand Foyer Bar with music from the Andy Long Orchestra.
* Performances from Liverpool Philharmonic Community and Youth Choirs.
* "Ian & Ian" - two of Liverpool's finest singer-songwriters in a one-off collaboration. Full identities will be revealed on the Feast website on the Friday before the event!
* Those who pick up a free copy of the Open Day programme will have the chance to enter an exclusive competition to win a great night out including tickets to a concert at the Phil, a meal at the London Carriage Works and a room for the night at the prestigious Hope Street Hotel.
Hope Street Feast also includes events and open days at many other Hope Street locations, including Merseyside Dance Initiative, Hope Street Hotel Residents' Lounge, Blackburne House and the Everyman Bistro, as well as the finale of Liverpool Food Lovers' Festival which involves a Farmers' Market and activities at various venues on the street.
Street performers and stalls will add to the festival atmosphere. More information can be found on the Feast website: http://www.hopestreetfeast.com/
Past Philharmonic Hall open days have been a huge success and this year's event looks set to be even bigger and better than before. Come along and soak up the atmosphere at the Phil and the range of buildings and organisations based on this iconic cultural street.